Saturday, June 15, 2013

Weekly report: June 15th 2013

It appears I can't remember to post daily logs. Instead, I've decided to post whenever something stumps me, or I discover something interesting, or in general when I want to log something I run into.
Now that that's out of the way, here's what I've done this week:
  • The tabbrowser changes are now pretty much complete and are awaiting review! There are still some nits and other things I need to address, but it should be pretty minor stuff.
  • Tabbrowser being tamed, I set out to start work on Awesometab. The goal is to have a buddy-list type UI as an initial milestone. So far, here's what I've managed:
    • Awesometab can be launched via keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+t), context menu, and the new tab "+" button.
    • It displays a list of buddies - nothing fancy, just a list of names - and a search bar.
    • On typing into the search bar, buddies are filtered based on whether their display name starts with what has been typed (not case sensitive).
    • When the "Enter" key is pressed, conversations are started with all the buddies selected in the list, and if no buddy is selected, the first one in the list.
  • I'm pretty happy with my progress so far, but a lot remains to be done! Here's a to-do of what I want to finish in the coming days:
    • Opening an Awesometab in a new window needs to maintain the current value in the search box and currently visible buddies.
    • Adding buddies to the list should be async.
    • Show conversations on hold in the list.
    • Make things pretty. The buddies should be displayed with their profile pictures, status messages, availability, etc.
    • Sorting - based first on availability, then alphabetically. Protocol must also be taken into account. Right now the list is completely unsorted.
    • A bit of polish - double clicking a buddy in the list should open a conversation, a context menu, etc. - basically adding in more buddy list functions.
With that I sign off! Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment